Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Photo Rescue

On my journey back home from Las Vegas, my family and I stopped in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Pleasant little town with a killer coffee shop (Highway 61 Coffee Shop) an old Coke Museum and an antique shop. In the antique shop I found a bowl full of old black and white photos. I've become sort of a lomography fan so the bowl interested me. As I sifted through the old photos I found some truly stunning shots.


The photos were certainly beautiful with excellent placement, angles and contrast, but more than being aesthetically pleasing, these were someone's stories. Come to find out from the antique dealer, a man came in one day with all of these photographs and asked the lady how much she'd give him for them. As much as she tried to dissuade him from selling them, he threatened he would throw them away if she didn't want them and therefore she resolved to take them off his bitter hands.

It's sad. I took these photos because they were $1 a piece and beautiful, but these are someone's stories and someone's history that will never be told or passed on. Who knows what happened to that man that made him so adamant about disposing of his history. But it's made me a bit more respectful of mine and far more mindful about how my stories will be passed on.




"But I know we're all made out of shipwrecks, every single board. Washed and bound like crooked teeth on these rocky shores. Come on and let's wash each other with tears of joy and tears of grief. And fold our lives like crashing waves and run up on this beach. Come on and sew us together, just some tattered rags stained forever. We only have what we remember." - 'Wooden Heart' by Listener

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment